samedi 10 janvier 2009

In a Flash

for Jim

My good friend had a heart attack
and I can't imagine what it was like
to find the cold hard floor at his back
while his heart was painfully contracting

He says that everywhere he was
brought, everyone was screaming
"Wake up!" and the stress was so intense
he thought, Can't I just die in peace?

He was brought back several times
and now sits and wonders about
what happened, how much damage
there was and what his life will hold

Changes are not easy for human beings
You just seem to get a grip and then
it's taken away, and you're left to access
where it went and what is left

It's a cold morning outside, he says
as he sips his decaf coffee and browses
through his letters, and he asks me
what's on today's agenda

I type, Same thing as yesterday, bud
There's nothing new under the sun
on this end, and he says, It's all new here
but I don't know what to do with it


8 commentaires:

Pris a dit…

Yes, taken away so easily. I'm sure he appreciates the love put into this poem for him.

Laura Tattoo a dit…

thanks, pris. this poem wss the culmination of many exchanges with my amazing poet friend andrea yesterday, about all those losses we human beings experience and talking about my old jobs--amazingly, i'm in oregon, she's in dc, yet turns out we know several of the same people thru our connections w/ public tv--and many letters exchanged daily with my friend who had the heart attack. life can get cut off so fast and what's left if you make it is sometimes a disappointment or at least different. i know how that feels and so did he before and now again. loss death and resurrection (again).

Mary Stebbins Taitt a dit…

WOW! Powerful poem! YIKES! Something to think about for sure!

Stirling Davenport a dit…

Marvelous poem, and very calmly and truly spoken. "It's all new here ..." and eventually I hope he will know what to do with it, as he winds the thread back on the spool.

Anonyme a dit…

Ah, this brought a smile to my face which may appear a strange comment but the smile was for your response to him and of him to you. You succinctly have life by the tail ... but I guess one ought at this stage in life. I hope he repairs and does well, you know do you not that after a heart attack, depression can naturally follow? Love, Liz

Laura Tattoo a dit…

thank you, liz. that makes sense in its own sad way! and thanks to everyone who wished my friend well. i will tell him. xoxoxoxo

Anonyme a dit…

best wishes to your friend - amazing last stanza!!!

Anonyme a dit…

A very nice poem-really,very nice.
Sorry Jim had to have a heart attack for you to be inspired-but wow,nice work nice wording!