samedi 16 mai 2009

Iraq Haiku Series I: Iraqi



photo is public domaine from the u.s. department of defense

Memorial Day, 2009

from the time they came
these bloodless soldiers
nothing was ever the same

greed starts wars and kills

à table drinking their fill
we lost our children

haliburton first
then a vast global empire
drank iraqi blood

iraq is undone
women weeping blood for years
lost generation

do not turn away!
it is our home and our blood
help us to rebuild


go to Iraq Haiku Series II: American Soldier here

5 commentaires:

R. Walker a dit…

laura,
i just read all of your iraqi poems ...very powerful. you have alot of empathy for all those people who have suffered because of our invasion of their country. as americans who have never really experienced this kind of devastation, these poems help us realize how awful life has become for the people of iraq. thank you for reminding us laura...

Garth a dit…

The middle stanza gets to the heart of the matter methinks (I once worked for kbr - ugh).
Your poems are normally long and passionate (like the best Otis Redding soul flights) but I must say that in these you have compressed coal into diamonds.

Mary Stebbins Taitt a dit…

VERY STRIKING!

I need to come back and read these carefully!!!!

Anonyme a dit…

You know my friend those first two comments above are right on target. I read these via Rumia when first published with great excitement. But now I have come to digest them over my morning coffee, to feel them as they should be felt. You truly are one of deep compassion.

Stirling Davenport a dit…

All these poems are a real tour de force, Laura. I am humbled by your compassion, as the others noted above. It's one thing to know the facts and quite another to feel them in your heart. I hope many people will be drawn to your pages.