jeudi 21 mai 2009

French Postcard Series

Recently, my partner Ron took photographs of all my original artwork that I've done over three plus decades. These four canvases are postcard size and were painted with an eye on four antique french postcards, using black and white watercolors. Of all my art, if i had to choose, these paintings would be my favorites. The first represents Brittany (Bretagne) for me; the second a pious little town with a lovely church, perhaps Amiens; the third warm southern France with an orange grove; and the fourth, la Dame Paris herself. Which one are you most attracted to?



8 commentaires:

R. Walker a dit…

great paintings my dear!!...i can't pick a favorite...they are all equally beautiful....one question: do you give art lessons? if so , i would be interested in taking from you...for a year or two...maybe three...

Stirling Davenport a dit…

It's very hard to choose, bien sur. I still like the woman with the doves the best - the fourth one a second favorite. She has such a presence. I love your talent.

Brenda Clews a dit…

I don't know, darlin', these have great style, from fabrics to wallpaper to windows that look like Chinese screens, and each one presents an image of swollen depth, the kind of depth of caves going deep into mysteries in hills, the faces soft and round and yet like that, stories to tell, that I'd say you could have become a painter. Painter of the soul as it's being lived by women who are brimming with the deeper sadnesses of life, it's hard to explain. Still could add painter to your repertoire. Look at Granma Moses. No age limit to that one. These miniatures are moving because they are fragile in their humanity. Just like us.

So very glad you are sharing these treasures, Laura!

Anonyme a dit…

Je les aime tous, mais peut-être la première et la deuxième, parce que j'ai Matisse magnifique carte postale de la maquette, et les colombes dans la cage, et je l'aime juste parce que le numéro deux!

Laura Tattoo a dit…

je dois vous dire que les oiseaux sont les mouettes ou les goélands (seagulls). peut-être si vous regardez tout tout près, ou dans l'abstraction lol! mais merci à vous tous... je suis heureuse de cette séries. xoxoxoxooxxoxoo

Anonyme a dit…

These are especially French. The monotones. They are lovely and you are gifted. Thank you for this glimse and treasure.

Mary Stebbins Taitt a dit…

These are wonderful! If I have to choose, I like best the second one and second best the first. So evocative and pignant and beautiful!

Laura, you are so totally sweet!!

I do like to draw.

Love to, in fact.

Right now, I am working on some novels. That is taking so much TIME from my drawing, my painting, and my poetry!

Laura Tattoo a dit…

i don't know how but i missed this post from you today, mary! thank you so much, always encouraging when you view my art through your special lens(es)... brilliant. i apologize for not getting to your poetry; i must i must! and i promise that i will very, very soon. xoxoxoxoox ~lt