samedi 12 juillet 2014

I'll fight you with my mind

I don't have a muscle left
to fight you with
so I'll fight you with
my mind:
I'll renounce your
sweet nothings
in deference to
logical arguments
and though you already
think you've won
because you had a
superior education
corresponding skull size
and an ancient cave dwelling
from the younger Dryas
I've butted heads
with the best poets
and have loved them
amidst the rubble of
battered futures
I couldn't invest
but I've slept with them
and it was worth it

When the market crashed
I hitchhiked across an ocean
thinking I had escaped
but it was a mistake:
The market had not crashed
volcanic winter had not started
and flowers were still growing
out of American garbage
I returned and planted
seeds of self-love
and though I had
plenty of doubts
I chose to believe in myself
something you could not
do or give me
not a house above ground
In spite of your superior knowledge
in spite of your charts and graphs
and the vast undeniable
romance of Hellas
I had to come back
turn my back on everything
and begin again

I will have to remind myself
a thousand times before I'm done
I will have to exercise
my muscle mind
even as the jasmine blooms
even as the winter comes
even as the sun rises ...


Daphne by Hubert von Herkomer

2 commentaires:

marinela a dit…

Cherie,
HERE you have travelled the path of your soul, the deepest abyss, the ' άβυσσος' - as we call it and the journey took you quite far...from sorrow to joy and back, from that vast continent which is your place of birth till us , the small people from a small country surrounded by the Aegean and Mediterranean waters. May the water cleanse your wounds and may you find your ' home'. Wonderful poem by a wonderful lady. Love you marinela

Laura Tattoo a dit…

marinela, it means so much to me to read your comment today. i love you so much, spiritual lady of the mediterranean. i will never forget your support and friendship. may it always endure and may you live in good health all your days! ~laura xoxooxoxox